[blparent] Not quite OT, self-defense for the blind...

Gabe Vega theblindtech at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 10:14:24 UTC 2011

this is an interesting topic. one that I want to read and contribute to with great interest.

I am a business owner CEO of two technology firms one specializing in government/disability/assistive technology and the other for corp tech implimentation, security and support.

for this reason, I carry a 38 special snub, 5 shot Taurus m85.

I often have my daughter Kayla with me age 10, while just on a family outing, on the bus, or train and maybe with me at a meeting a time or two and although I am confident of defending myself alone I often have feared the what ifs, on being attacked, robbed or simular while with my daughter.

She is no stranger to guns, yet doesn't find them to be her big thing, believe it or not, although attending multiple gun safety classes and being around the firearms I have owned cemi-autos, bult-action rifles,  revolvers, etc she is actually not curious about them which is a good thing, as a matter of fact the training I put her through at a local shop in phoenix has gotten her curiocity settled, but again, she freely admits that she's not in to them.

sorry for going off topic, I say all that to say this, my daughter and I have a rule, or understanding that with or with out my gun being present in a hostile environment, she is to get behind me if and when possibleso that if anything were to go flying, fists or led, she would be out of the way, thankfully I haven't had to pull my 38 out while she has been around but there has been situations where the probablility for it was very high. I am deffinetly interested in others peoples stories about self defense around children. just to know that I am not the only one to stress on it.