[blparent] Collecting info on foster-adoptions as blind couples

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 02:38:39 UTC 2011

We went to a state orientation meeting because we were interested in fostering to adopt. My husband and I are both totally blind. We
were told that they would not place an infant with us because of our blindness. Since an infant is what we were interested in, we
did not attend any more of the meetings. I know this is illegal. We intend to fight it as soon as Nick obtains a full time job. He
has been looking in access technology for the last five and a half years, since we were married.
I am the Secretary for the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan. I know we do not look good on paper, since we primarily
live on his S.S.D.I. and my S.S.I. We are trying to remedy this and then we will fight the illegality of the state saying they will
not place an infant with us due to our blindness.
Nick and Terri Wilcox