[blparent] i have a question about feeding babies baby food?

Tammy tcl189 at rogers.com
Wed May 18 00:21:33 UTC 2011

Hi,

Two things, you might want to limit the feedings she gets from anyone else but you.  You need her to get used to how you feed, and if she knows she will get it from others she may not learn to feed as well from you.  Secondly, try not to put your hand in her face, bring it up under her chin if you can.  I know feeding’s very hard in the beginning, and regardless of how you do it, you’re gonna make messes.  Also, one method might work well with one baby, and might not work at all with another.  Find out what works and what doesn’t, and stick to it.  I found that using my squeezy spoon helped us because I didn’t have to use a bowl in the beginning.  You might also find that sitting the baby on your lap on a towell or something and feeding her from behind might help as well.  If you’re right handed, you’ll hold your spoon in that hand, and use your left hand to find her chin.  This way, when she turns her head as all babies do, you’ll know how to readjust the spoon and yourself so the majority of the food gets in her mouth.  I also recommend getting those little bibs with the pockets or the plastic bibs with the catch tray in the bottom.  This will help stop the mess from getting all over.  The bibs only last a little while though, because as soon as my son could, he would frequently flip the bib up and then most of the mess ended up on him and it was bath time again.  smile

hth

Tammy