[blparent] Where have all the manners gone? Children interacting with man's best friend

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Wed May 25 19:13:57 UTC 2011

Thanks Jen.  And thanks to Debbie Stein for helping me out; I really want
to come to Chicago for a meeting, and a meet-and-greet with NFBI members.

Jo Elizabeth, in many instances, you should, and must, start from the
ground up.  I want to give you another dog scenario, okay?  (And you blind
parents with pet or guide dogs, please follow along, okay?): Many sighted
children become bored.  Especially, in the summertime, when everybody's out
of school.  For you guide dog users, you've been given comments while your
worker's in harness.  So this could be an ice breaker, of sorts, to your
child.  Let your child play with the dog of your neighbor.  (Chances are,
this dog is very friendly, and loves kids!)  Then, gradually, your
neighbor's parents see the actions in playing with their dog, the playing
fetch, ball, et cetera, and want to have your dog play!  This creates
teamwork between dogs and kids and parents.  Right now, I also want to give
2 plugs for people in the Orange County Register inCalifornia, Marie Hulett
and Maryanne Dell, both who write in the "Life" "Pets" section.  Marie has
a web site, thepetplace.org, where you can listen to her shows, and her
column is called Animjl Files.

And Maryanne Dell has a Pets column, too.

So, try and develop manners between your sighted parent neighbors.  Have
fun, and always, always keep a playful personality!   After all, meanness
doesn't help either side!

Finally, dogs need friends, too.  So if the dog loves to dig, don't scold
your children, just let dirt get on them.  That's why there are washing
machines!  LOL!

Just let your manners, the sighted parents' maneers, and the kids, '
manners, flow.  Woof woof and good luck.

Eric
.. ..  Eric from Los Angeles with the baseball list: eric at pmpmail.com.
Also on Facebook