[blparent] parents rights

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Tue Nov 1 12:29:56 UTC 2011

As many of you know, I teach a parenting series for Hadley and have two
adult sons. I had a call yesterday from a blind mom who is just beginning
this school thing as one of her children is in kindergarten. She complained
that the school is not accommodating her by giving her newsletters and other
information in an email or otherwise accessible format. I wanted to say
"welcome to the club" but kindergarten for my youngest was 20 years ago. I
know schools and parents vary. Some people can deal with not having
everything available to them; they have a sighted spouse or friend to read,
keep up with little ones' homework, etc. I'd apreciate any thoughts as
though I can't keep up with everything, I don't want to sit back and think
things are the same though they may be.
Thanks.
Sharon