[blparent] colored canes

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Sun Nov 13 04:25:23 UTC 2011

I inquired about colored canes and the law amoungst the NFB chapter
presidents and this is one of the replies. V
Veronica,
    I would assume that there is no requirement, per se, for the cane to be
white; however, the law that assists blind pedestrians by requiring motorist

to stop or yield to a blind pedestrian, does require the cane to be white.
Furthermore, many state statutes make it a misdemeanor for anyone except a
blind person to carry a white cane. The white cane is the international
symbol of blindness. Carrying a cane that is of another color would not
convey the same information as the white cane.!