[blparent] Adopting a Pet

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Thu Oct 6 20:28:25 UTC 2011

As far as introducing the cat and the dog, it depends on the animals.  If
they're both laid back you may want to just let them be together at first.
I think probably the best thing to do, though, would be to put them in
different rooms where they can smell each other under a door or give them
each something to lay on to put their scent on it then give it to the other
one to get familiar with that smell.
The cat will probably be hissy at first but like Michael said, cats usually
pick their owners.  We have declawed our cats and so when doors are most
likely to be opened to the outside, they are kept in the basememt.  Mind
you, it's not as cruel as it sounds, we let them out in the evenings and all
night and on days when no one is coming or going, they stay out all day.
One of them would dearly love to go out and when he has gotten out, he's a
tiger to get back in.
Cats can also be taught to be careful with their claws.  You'd want to have
a scratching post or something because they do love to scratch, it helps
keep their claws sharp.  Our cats do it even without claws.  One loves to do
it on my Braillewriter case.  Where ever it is, he finds it.  It's kind of
funny.

As far as Sarah, I'd just tell her the cat's visiting.  She's probably going
to have a cry if you decide not to keep it just because she wanted it.
The cat is going to spray or not spray regardless if he's fixed or not.  We
had one who sprayed quite a bit and he was fixed.  The two we have now have
never done it.

If you've any more questions, you can write me off list and I'll try to
help.
Barbara

Let every nation know whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay
any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose
any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.--John
F. Kennedy