[blparent] Adopting a Pet

Amanda Winkler awcactuscat1 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:50:08 UTC 2011

I grew up with both cats and dogs and in time they do learn to live with
each other.  How is your guide dogs attitude towards other animals when he
is out of harness?  I have found that as long the dog has an even temper and
good natured towards strangers and other animals the age is not too much a
problem.  The cat well is harder to tell, you'll have to wait and see.
Remember that it can take some time for the cat and dog to like each other
and can take up to a month or more and other times it is love at first sight
(don't count on it).  I would recommend that at least two adults (no Sarah
do to her age) be present at the first few times the cat and dog are around
each other.  This should be for a few minutes or more depending on their
reactions.    You could experience a shouting match between them for a
while.  This is normal, just keep an eye on them and from time to time tell
them to knock it off.  In rare cases one or both will attack the other this
is when you separate them and you correct the attacking animal.  In the
event of such of an attack it is not a good idea to have a young child
present.  Remember that if it is the dog that attacks (which I doubt that
will happen) it can do more damage in a shorter amount of time to the cat
than the cat to the dog.  You will want to gradually increase the frequency
and duration of time the cat and dog spend together.  This will be a
stressful time but it does get better.
As for the cat and Sarah this is easier.  You should have adult supervision
at all time when they are together for about a week.  This is to insure that
Sarah does not play too rough with the cat.  Dogs tolerate rougher play than
a cat will.  Scratches are inevitable and are not a problem.  If a scratch
occurs wash the area well with soap and apply pressure if bleeding.  Let air
dry and check for infection for the next 3-4 days.
Here are some questions your family should decide on before committing to
having the cat.
Does the cat get spay/neuter or not?  In tacked females have litters of
kittens and males spray (that sickening cat pee smell), fight a lot so they
look beaten up all the time, and they do have a habit of disappearing for
weeks at a time then show up all of a sudden or never.  The younger the cat
when it is fixed the better.
Is the cat going to be indoor, outdoor, or a combination of both?  If the
cat is going to be a strictly indoor cat then you got to consider the cat
box and keeping child and dog out of it.  Some dogs like to eat cat poop.
I can't think of anything else but I do recommend that you get a book on how
to take care of a cat that both you and Sarah can read together.  If you
have any other questions feel free to email me off list anytime.
awcactuscat1 at hotmail.com

HTH
Amanda