[blparent] Stranger contact with your child

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:47:21 UTC 2011

I agree. Sometimes we need to take a deep breath , relax and just let
life happen. People will think, and assume, what they will. We certainly
have opportunities to inform society about the capabilities of the
blind, but personally, though I have strong opinions and feelings on the
topic, I get sick of always living as a "blind" person- meaning I make
my life revolve around one aspect of myself when I choose to focus on
this one thing, and assume the entire world is focused on it. If they
are, so be it. As long as our children are aware of the truth and not
the perceptions, or rather following the truth and not the perceptions,
that's all that matters. Our actions speak louder than words. If we live
what we "preach," than our children will grow up believing we are like
everyone else. And society also has a better chance of changing when
they "see" us in action. Talk ends up being a lot of wasted air and
time. Because we're the ones raising our children, and therefore
instilling healthy attitudes about disability, they probably are not as
influenced by how others respond to us. Any child wants to feel useful
and helpful. Depending on how it's phrased, when people tell a child
that they must be a helper, I think it's better to view this positively.
I've heard sighted parents receive similar compliments, so why not allow
the message to apply as a compliment to children with parents who are
blind? Sometimes we can't excuse behavior and should speak up, but let
our children feel validated. To our children, blindness isn't a big
deal, and they probably don't interpret comments in a negative light. We
can't always view the world with negativity and leave the house each day
armed and prepared for warfare. Trust me, this is a difficult lesson; I
like to check my arsenal each time I leave the house, but we have to
just go about our life like everyone else. If people can't accept that,
F them. Sorry for the implied language; I said I had strong opinions!
Smile.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: