[blparent] Disney World

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:34:05 UTC 2011

Again, if we pay attention to the context of certain post, the
discussion was about passes specific to disabilities. Purchasing a fast
pass that's available to anyone, was never what this discussion was
about.  In fact, I believe many of us said we felt this is okay because
it is something for everyone, not a special privilege for those with
disabilities. We always focused on passes available only to disabled
people.

I've not been to Disney World since I was ten, and I was sighted then. I
have been to World's of Fun in KC and Adventureland in Iowa since
becoming blind, though, and I've been told I can skip to the front of
the line because I'm blind. Typically, in my experience, disabled people
have been seated first, though I assume a line taking 90 minutes, park
employees are not as concerned with who is seated first, but moving the
line along as efficiently as possible. Nonetheless, people with
disabilities tend to have preference, in my experience, when it comes to
seating.

Furthermore, I never stated specifically who should use a line specific
to those with disabilities other than a person with a mobility concern,
or someone, such as yourself, who has pain after standing for long
periods. It makes sense a person using a wheelchair wouldn't require a
special line except they would need a ramp to reach the platform for
rides.  I have friends with various disabilities including a friend in a
wheelchair. I have no clue why anyone would be offended by someone
saying they should take advantage of such a perk if it's necessary, such
as needing a ramp. My argument wasn't that a separate line was wrong or
somehow demeaning; my argument was that blindness alone doesn't seem to
be a reason why such a perk would be necessary. I can stand in the line
with my sighted friends with no problems; It just happens that I can't
see, so it feels like cheating. My friend with CP, though, often uses
the line with a ramp, and is usually seated first, because they can't
stand for very long. This makes sense.

The purpose of a line with a ramp, and potentially early seating, is
because some people can't stand for long (for various reasons) or they
use a wheelchair, or similar mobility equipment, and obviously require a
ramp.  I do not use such equipment, and I can stand just fine, so I
don't require a ramp or preference for seating.

As for blindness not affecting our physical being; I think you
misunderstand what I'm saying. A physical disability means you can't
physically move your body, or you have difficulty moving it. You may
have unfortunately walked into a clothing rack, but you did in fact walk
into it. So your physical movement isn't a problem. Should you
experience issues with your limbs such as having pain, and this in turn
affects your ability to move, then there's a reason your physical being
has problems.

I have no problem with my feet or legs; I have complete control over my
arms and hands. I can run, jump, walk, carry items- I don't require
assistance, human or otherwise, to do physical things, therefore, I'm
not physically disabled. I can't see, but I can manipulate all the parts
of my body. It is the same if you're deaf- and I have deaf friends and
relatives so I'm not speaking in ignorance. My great-aunt is deaf, has
been since she was 14, but she's never considered herself physically
disabled either. My friend in a wheelchair can't use their legs; they
can not physically walk. They agree with me that blindness is not a
physical disability.

I'm also not saying one disability is better than another. I'm simply
saying blindness alone, while our physical eyes don't work, our
physicality, our ability to manipulate our body, is not affected by
whether we can see or not.

This is the difference between a sensory disability and a physical
disability. Not being able to see doesn't create a problem with our
physical being. I use a long white cane. As mentioned, I had sight for
22 years, and I don't find I travel any less quickly or efficiently now
without sight. I use my cane now instead of my vision, but I don't
commonly find it anymore difficult to physically move about. I may not
always find what I'm looking for right away, or we all encounter those
situations where we have to explore a space to get a better
understanding of it, but we're doing this by moving about. Not finding
something has nothing to do with our physical body. I'm not sure why you
think my statement that blindness is just a sensory disability means I
think blindness is just in our heads. I simply mean we can manipulate
our body so physical movement is not an issue. Moving, even if not sure
where you are going, is still moving.

So why would I admit something I don't experience? You say blindness is
a physical disability whether some admit it or not, but just because I
can't see doesn't mean I no longer have control over my body.  I don't
blow smoke up people's bums- I always speak from my own experience.
Personally, most my challenges are only related to blindness because
society has yet to get on board with understanding that we are capable.
When we don't have access to information in an accessible format, the
problem isn't that we can't do it; the problem is that someone doesn't
understand that should this information be available in Braille or
electronically, we'd have no problem. When technology is inaccessible,
again, it doesn't mean we can't do it, it means the company producing
said technology hasn't programmed accessible features that would make
the issue a moot point.

I live; I work; I have interests; I have a family. Speaking from my
experience and how I feel, I don't find blindness to be very
challenging. My challenges arise when other people project their
negative attitudes and misinformed perceptions onto me. My husband,
Ross, is blind too, and he feels the same way. Why feeling this way, why
living this way, is considered being a "blind Nazi," I have no clue. If
we truly are causing a problem due to our blindness, we adjust what
we're doing to make things simpler for us and those around us.

When in a crowded situation, we keep our canes closer to our body; in a
restaurant, we follow right behind the waiter so our canes don't bump
into other tables; we may ask for someone to point out empty seats or
where a certain door is to find these things quickly and without
"bothering" anyone in the process. We don't create havoc to prove a
point. Being efficient means doing things the best way you can, and
sometimes that means asking for assistance, or in certain situations,
using sighted guide. But at a place like a theme park, where hundreds of
people are doing the same thing, standing in a line, we're not causing a
problem by being in the same line, and our disability doesn't seem to be
a reason why we need a line specific to disabled people- we don't
require a ramp to access the rides, and we have no reason why we need to
be seated sooner than others.

I'm not sure why any blind person would be "beating" people with their
cane while standing in a line, not having done this myself, and if your
cane taps a person from time to time, in such a confined space, it's not
whacking them. When in a line of any kind, you hold your cane closer to
your body, or you should, so it would only tap an ankle or calf, and you
know when your cane touches an object, so you move it quickly- I've
never had a problem with this technique, nor has anyone ever had an
issue with me doing this. I also pay attention to my surroundings in
such situations, and usually you can tell when people in front of you
are moving without having your cane touch them.

When we don't learn skills that help us do things, or we don't use the
skills properly, then we often end up creating more problems then
changing society's minds about blindness. The people I know who have
positive attitudes and use skills, and use them well, don't perpetuate
stereotypes. People tend to be surprised that they seem to have very few
issues as a blind person. My husband and I are often told that if we
didn't have a cane, they wouldn't think we couldn't see. So, going back
to the original discussion, if people don't think I have many problems
being blind, why do I need to use a special pass or line? Again, it's
not because this line is wrong, it's that I do not have a disability
that requires me to need it.

I stand firm on my position, and I don't think I will change some minds.
I wanted to articulate my argument as it seems my meaning was allusive,
but I have no intention of creating tension or continuing debates that
are not leading to healthy discussions, though with varying sides. As it
doesn't seem we can continue this discussion rationally and without
taking personal umbrage, I suggest we drop it and move on.  Michael, I
apologize that your simple questions grew into this discussion, but I
think it's important to explore different views and challenge one
another.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem we can discuss such subjects
without feeling personally attacked, though no one originally did this,
or not being able to separate these personal feelings from the argument
at hand.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Bridget,

Blindness is a physical disability in itself whether some like to admit
that fact or not.  My face is heeling right now from running into a
display at a store that had hooks sticking out at face level, so if
blindness doesn't affect us physically then why am I sporting a black
eye?  The last time I checked with my doctor my eye condition was due to
a retinal deformity and wasn't something in my head.  Blindness comes
with its own true challenges and I don't think that someone who is
"just" blind should feel bad to take the fast pass lane, (which by the
way is not a cutting technique but rather a special separate line to
make it faster).  I've known folks who are such blind Nazis about "being
like the rest" that they make things more difficult on the sighted
people around them causing people in front of them to endure cane
beatings for 90 plus minutes just so they can be in the line too.  Most
of my friends are sighted and they feel comfortable enough in telling me
the truth in how they perceive people that act this way and trust me
when I say that sometimes those who are trying to prove a point so much
are actually standing out and creating a stereotype more than anyone.
My husband made a great point the other night when we were talking about
this very thing when he said, "People aren't going to think anything
negative about people who are blind taking the fast pass lane, but
rather just wish that they were part of their family." SMILING

Like you said Bridget, people just need to do what they're comfortable
with because that's what works for them.  I have friends in wheelchairs
that would be highly offended to hear that some think the fast pass lane
is for their type because as one of my dear friends says, "I'm the only
one with a chair to sit in for these long lines so it's everyone else
standing who I feel sorry for".  Now that particular friend has a manual
chair and is very physically strong while another friend of mine might
use a shorter line since she's in an electric chair and doesn't want to
drain her entire battery for one silly ride.  By the way, the fast pass
lane at DW is used by tons of "able bodied people" because many pay more
to get a permanent fast pass in order to use such lines so us blind
would stand out no more than the sighted, beautifully sculpted football
player also standing in line. GRIN

Food for thought,

Erin