[blparent] to keep the stroller or not?

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Wed Sep 7 14:40:13 UTC 2011

This is a very personal decision!  I would probably say returning the
stroller would be fine at this point.  It is true that at some point your
son will be too heavy for your carrier, but hopefully by that point he will
be able to walk at least short distances by himself, so you could have a
break for your back.  Also, by that point you could get a nice wagon he
could ride in that's easy to pull behind you.  We have a wagon with two
seats, and the seats actually have seatbelts so even a young child, as long
as he or she can sit up and hold his or her head up well, can ride safely.
Certainly the wagon does not fold up, so I don't think it is practical for a
bus or train, but it is great for walks around the neighborhood, walks to
the grocery store, etc.  It's also nice because, again, you can easily have
the child ride for a while, then walk if he wants to.  The wagon I got cost
somewhere between 60 and 75 dollars.  Certainly a lot cheaper than the
stroller.  The wagon is also designed to be pulled, so it is narrower than a
stroller and you could easily practice with it...  Or, of course, decide to
get nothing at all at this point, return the stroller, and then get
something else if and when the need arises.  If you're not comfortable
pulling the stroller, then having the money to spend on something else
certainly makes sense.  Could you possibly borrow a stroller from someone
and practice pulling it to see if you would like it?  That way you wouldn't
have to open the box and could make a decision based on actually trying the
stroller or a similar one.  Also, know that there is a big difference in
pulling a shopping cart and a stroller.  In my experience, the stroller is
much easier to pull than a shopping cart ever has been for me.
Just some thoughts.  Good luck!
Melissa