[blparent] what blind parents should know:

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 17:53:57 UTC 2011

i think that when i was a new parent i would have wanted to know that
there is a solution to each challenge. And, there is usually more than
one solution because we all do things differently.
For example: each of us might use different techniques when feeding or
changing a diaper. That is ok. And, it is ok  if it looks a little
different to sighted people. Focus on the objective: not how it looks.
When my daughter was three months old -- quite a long time ago -- I
was on a greyhound bus and had to change her clothes. The well-meaning
woman beside me said: "that's not the way you dress a baby." i put my
daughter's legs in the sleeper first and then the arms. i had not even
thought about doing it the other way and until then, thought that i
was doing it like everyone else.
but, it worked for me.
most sighted people feed the child facing them. But, this just does
not work for me. i get some flack for it -- as well as the fact that i
am always putting my hand on their mouth/chin/etc.
so what!
It is my baby and as long as she/he is getting the required food,
people need to keep some of their advice to themselves.
it is a different thing if they say:
"hey, can I show you a way that might be easier?" or "Have you thought
of doing it this way?"
I'd take some of those 'what professionals need to know about blind
parenting,' pamphlets that the NFB has.
   You might want to do some role playing to see how parents might
just act in certain situations and get them comfortable with speaking
up against an authority figure. Sometimes professionals like doctors
and social workers can catch you off guard. Encourage them to find
someone that they feel comfortable being vulnerable with. We are not
"super parents," but sometimes we feel like we have to act like it
because sometimes common questions are attributed to our blindness
instead of just being attributed to normal parenting.
And, frankly, it is draining enough as a parent; but even moreso if
you have to be in the "i have to proove that I am a worthy candidate
for parenthood," stage or if you have to continue to defend your
positions on every single decision and activity.
infant CPR would be a good thing to learn: although this is not 'blind
specific'.
hmmm, i'll have to think of more!