[blparent] what blind parents should know:

Sheila Leigland sleigland at bresnan.net
Mon Sep 19 21:53:04 UTC 2011

Yes, jan you have said things that need to be shared. When mark was little a list like this didn't exist. Most of the blind parents that I knew were either partials or were married to sighted spouses. My husband and I are both totally blind and many of our decisions were questioned. We had to come to realize that what others thought couldn't surpass our own judgments or we could loose control of the raising of our son and become ineffective parents. Fortunately we has a very suportive pediatrician that told us very early on not to wet the cometee rais our son. It was the best advice we ever recieved. There is no way to compete with perfection. All parents blind or sighted can only do the best job that they can and trust in themselves.