[blparent] putting a Christmas tree up when you have a littleone

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Sep 21 16:01:46 UTC 2011

It's fine in theory, and I agree that twenty months isn't too young to begin
learning.  But expect to spend plenty of time and energy teaching the lesson
about leaving the Christmas tree alone.  It's not going to sink in on the
first try, or the second, or the third.  If the tree is important enough as
a tradition in your house to make it worth the effort you'll spend, then go
for it.  For me, the tree wasn't important enough.  I didn't feel I had the
time, energy, or patience to spend two or three weeks guarding the
ornaments, even the durable ones.  I took a year off from tree trimming,
found other ways to decorate, and kept an atmosphere of peace in my house,
saving the tree for the next year when my little girl could understand and
appreciate it more.  It's a personal decision, and there are many ways to
approach it, not just one.