[blparent] Need advice with preschoolers behavior

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 28 21:06:01 UTC 2011

The first step is to figure out why he is hitting. What is he trying to
achieve? Basically I'd keep a log of the situations in which he hits. Is he
always hitting when is frustrated with another child. Is he hitting when he
can't communicate? Is he hitting when he wants something. Once you know why
he is hitting than you can give him a replacement for the hitting. A sit of
words for example someone is doing something he doesn't like have him hold
his hand out flat palm out fingers up and closed together and say stop! I
don't like that or please stop. As for consequences if you are going to hurt
your friends I can't let you play with them. It hurts when you hit, and
remove him from the group.

Bran

"When we treat children's play as seriously as it deserves, we are helping
them feel the joy that's to be found in the creative spirit. It's the things
we play with and the people who help us play that make a great difference in
our lives."
- Fred Rogers

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team Leader
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 689-5045

Looking for team members nation wide!