[blparent] Need advice with preschoolers behavior

Tammy tcl189 at rogers.com
Wed Sep 28 23:28:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

First of all, you might have the school keep track of when he hits the other
kids, and see if there's a pattern.  He might be hitting when he doesn't
like what another child is doing or if he can't find the words to say
something he feels is very important.  Or he might just be doing it for
attention, either way a document might be helpful in establishing a pattern
if there is one.  My son was a biter in preschool, and we figured out, with
the teacher's help, that  most of the incidents were on days when he had to
go to his dad's house.  he eventually told us that he didn't want to go and
he was mad because we were making him.  the second thing is finding some
form of discipline that works to discourage the behaviour.  I say it that
way because while a timeout might work really well for disciplining one
child, it might not work well for another.  so you'll have to find out what
works best and let the school know that's what they're to do when he hits.
Finally, if that doesn't work, maybe telling himn that hitting hurts and
that if he doesn't find another way to express himself he won't be able to
go to school anymore.  Remember that this is probably just a passing phase,
and that your son will grow out of it sooner rather than later.

hth

Tammy

-----Original Message----- From: Grace Pires