[blparent] Advice on playing with cane

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 19:25:02 UTC 2011

Penny likes to play with my husband and mines white canes. We usually
keep them in the corner by the door. At home, she tends to leave them
alone until we go bye-bye. She'll run to the door, grab the canes and
hand them to us, or hand one to one of us and keep the other. Outside or
at stores, though, she likes to use one by herself or "help" one of us
cane.

She's not actually trying to help us, but just wants to cane. She's uses
proper cane technique and rarely uses the cane in an inappropriate way
like swinging it around. I use a 63 inch cane, and Ross uses a 65 inch
cane, so they're pretty long for a two-year-old, though Pen is tall for
her age.

When at the park or on walks, Pen finds the biggest stick or branch she
can and uses it as her cane. She even knows it is called a cane and uses
the word when referring to the canes. While grandma and grandpa watched
her one night, grandpa was going to take for a ride to get some ice
cream. When they were leaving, she put her sunglasses on, grabbed a play
flute my mom has, said, "Cane" and walked to the door tapping the flute
shoulder-to-shoulder.

My question is this: How do I balance her growing independence and
curiosity while keeping myself safe and not introducing ideas like mommy
and daddy need extra help? I don't want her inundated with these ideas,
that blind people require assistance, but I don't want her thinking
she's doing something wrong when she canes.

We've explained, as best you can to a two-year-old, that the cane isn't
a toy, and obviously she sees us use them, but I know this can be a fine
balance.

When my nephew was her age, I was just starting to lose my vision.
Caiden naturally started trying to act as a sighted guide when we were
outdoors or at restaurants. It was cute, but I also didn't seriously
rely on a toddler as sighted guide. However, allowing him to hold my
hand and try to lead me around ended up with adverse effects. He's now
seven and still thinks he should help me. We've had discussions about
this, and being older, he's comprehending that he doesn't have to help
Bridgey and Ross around. Nonetheless, he ended up engrained with the
perception that blind people require extra help often.

So I don't want Pen inadvertently picking up bad concepts. Just
wondering if anyone else has dealt with this situation.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan