[blparent] Advice on playing with cane

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 29 19:59:44 UTC 2011

Remember that children play what they see. That is how they figure out their
world. I've had children as old as 10 play blind. Just as children play
mommy, chef, teacher etc. they play blind. It is normal play. I would
encourage you to order a toddler sized cane from the NFB store and let her
play till her little mind has enough. This way you can let her know we
aren't going to play cane right now because mommy needs her cane, but you
may play with your cane. You can either bring her little cane, or let her
know she can play with it at home. You will be able to teach her that it is
a tool and she may play with hers and only hers. Although she does it
properly she is still 2 and could accidentally hurt someone with a large
pointy object.

Bran

"When we treat children's play as seriously as it deserves, we are helping
them feel the joy that's to be found in the creative spirit. It's the things
we play with and the people who help us play that make a great difference in
our lives."
- Fred Rogers

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team Leader
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 689-5045

Looking for team members nation wide!