[blparent] Advice on playing with cane

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Sep 29 20:09:24 UTC 2011

Hello,
This is a great topic.  We solved this problem by getting our son, and now
we've passed it on to his sister, his own child sized cane to use.  He
absolutely loved it when he was between 1 and 3, and now Oriana is starting
to use and love it as well.  We see this as our kids wanting to immitate
what they see.  They see daddy, (and mommy sometimes, although I use a dog
most of the time) using our canes, and they want to copy us...  just as
toddlers want to copy sweeping with a broom, folding laundry, cooking,
talking on the phone, typing on the computer, etc.  With his own cane,
Austin was able to play with the cane appropriately, and he loved going on
walks with us when we all used our canes.  (Yes, I'm sure our neighbors are
a little confused as to why he was using one, but that's fine with me.)  He,
like your daughter, almost always used the cane correctly--although he loved
to chew on the top when he was teething--and he would also use sticks and
other things as canes when the cane wasn't with us or handy.  Oriana is
starting to do exactly the same thing.  Austin outgrew this, for the most
part, by about three, but now he loves to hand Oriana the little cane and
watch her use it.
	A couple of things to consider...  I think it's probably safer for
her to have her own cane to take and use than trying to cane with you,
unless you guys have a really good technique you've developed that's
comfortable for all of you.  Secondly, I wouldn't look at this as her trying
to help lead you around.  She is copying what she sees you do, and it seems
as if she knows that you use your canes when you go for walks.  I see this
as very different than her trying to lead you around sighted guide; it's a
different kind of helping.  If she's trying to lead you sighted guide, then
she's more in control so to speak.  If she's helping you cane, then you and
she are moving the cane and using it to explore your environment together.
	As for the cane itself...  Even kid's canes can be expensive.  We
were lucky enough to find one, from a local cane bank, I think, that no one
wanted anymore.  You could also find a short broom handle, smooth stick, or
something else and designate that as her cane.
	I'm glad to hear our kids are not the only ones who think canes are
so cool.
Melissa