[blparent] Advice on playing with cane

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 20:39:21 UTC 2011

Thanks for all the comments. We don't usually let Penny play with the
canes unless at home or at a park, and even then, we keep close watch of
her. We've considered getting her own Penny-size cane since, even though
she usually canes with pretty good technique, it could hurt others or
even herself. We may even use one of our canes as we always seem to have
a collection of them, and have grandpa make it Penny-size.

And even the sticks or branches she favors tend to be a little big for
her. We've talked about this but thought it might be weird. My husband's
family doesn't understand why we "encourage" playing with the cane as if
it will irrevocably damage her in some way. The funny thing is she does
it all on her own. And as I've mentioned before, Pen's greatest talent
is mimicking. We've had people assume she's blind too, and when people
find out she isn't, they are disconcerted that she "plays" blind. Like
pretending being blind will make her blind, or god forbid she'll accept
blindness as "normal." smile

At Wal-mart yesterday I sat my cane down to look at something, bad idea
since it gave her the perfect opportunity to pick it up. Smile. Wal-mart
didn't seem the best scenario for such play. And right now she really
wants to go outside and keeps handing the cane to me saying, "Go
bye-bye." LOL

Thanks again. We'll definitely have to get a cane all for her. I've
always said it's comforting to be around young children because most of
them don't have preconceived ideas about disability. It's easier to
accept something like blindness especially when you're around it daily;
it's not unusual or scary.

Oh boy, project melt-down is in affect! Better run! LOL You guys have
been great.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: