[blparent] Sensitive breast feeding concern, ladies only

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sun Apr 15 23:15:26 UTC 2012

Hi, Bridgit.  In most hospitals, you can borrow an electric double-sided
breast pump to have in your room, or you can take one with you from home.
My sister was given this option because she had to go back to work as a
teacher soon after both of her babies were born, and she didn't intend to
nurse with her breasts.  But she was given the option to pump anyway, just
in case she wanted to give bottled breast milk to the day care provider she
had.  My lactation consultant also gave me the pump-and-bottle-feed
suggestion when I was having real trouble getting my baby to latch on.  So
you may well be able to just tell the staff that you don't intend to nurse
with your breasts, but you want to start pumping right away.  They'll show
you how to use the pump and get you started off right.

That being said--and I'm not trying to be argumentative or start a debate
because you know your own body and your own goals--nursing was very
difficult for me, but also very rewarding.  I didn't find it particularly
difficult as far as being well endowed, which was an issue even before I got
pregnant.  I would urge you not to miss out on a great bonding experience,
and a one-of-a-kind part of mothering, based on worries about what might
happen.  You can always stop nursing and keep pumping if it doesn't work out
for you, but sometimes latching on and nursing  go perfectly smoothly for
mother and baby.  My cousin had that experience, everything worked like a
charm, and she had milk to spare.  I know there was an issue with a blind
couple who got their child taken away a few years ago, at least in part due
to concerns about breast feeding, but most lactation consultants are as
patient as saints, and willing to work with new moms for as long as it takes
to get a good nursing relationship going.  La Leche League has even put out
an article on how to deal with blind moms and their special concerns at
meetings.  Food for thought anyway.