[blparent] Sensitive breast feeding concern, ladies only

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Mon Apr 16 16:09:24 UTC 2012

I completely agree with this post.  Bridgit, since you're so on top of
things, and thinking about all of these concerns early on, it might be a
good idea to search out a lactation consultant now in order to discuss your
concerns, and also to have someone "on your side" when your son is born to
help you in the hospital.  Pumping is a great option if that's what you
decide to do, but, as pointed out on this list, most pumps will not get all
of the milk your baby can get from your breasts.  You will also have to
balance pumping and bottle feeding which might be pretty exhausting with a
new baby, unless you always have someone else around to feed the baby and
you can pump at the same time.  This is, again, just food for thought.
Ultimately you need to do what is comfortable for you, as this will help you
be relaxed, which will make everything easier for mom and baby both.  I
would definitely find a good lactation consultant now, and also nursing goes
differently for every woman, so don't let family history color your view too
much as to what you will or won't be able to do as far as nursing is
concerned.  Also, nursing can be challenging for blind and sighted parents
alike, and most hospital staff know this and are very patient and willing to
work with new moms who want to nurse.  Your baby will prove to be a factor
in this as well.  Some babies have no trouble latching on and nurse as if
they've been doing it from in the womb.  Others take longer and have more
problems.  I think it's important to remember that bottle feeding is always
an option, and if someone is truly concerned about your ability to nurse
when you return home, you can always point out to them that a bottle is an
option you are very comfortable with, and you will be able to feed your baby
that way if you feel nursing is not going well.
Some more food for thought.
Melissa