[blparent] kid music

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:05:32 UTC 2012

Hi,
I am really specific about my music, also and love kid music for its
creativity and sometimes naivity. But, I can get burnt out on one
style of music.  So, here are some good suggestions. There use to be a
kids music emailing list (for artists, but I joined to get the scoop)
and I think that it is still going strong, although I am not
subscribed to it anymore. there are places on the web that showcase
tons of kids music and associations of artists that only do kids
music. I was surprised at what a large field it actually is: and no
style has been untouched. That is, if you like a certain style of
music: country, rock, jazz, indy, (even hip hop, but I am not sure
about grundge),  there are usually  many  artists who have made kid
music to fit that style. I am sorry, I can't remember the websites,
though. If I have time, I'll do a search, but here are some
suggestions in the meantime.
I love kids music, even way after my kids were out of the house. And,
now that I have a  baby, we are putting the sesame street back in the
player. I just can't stomach "Barney," or some of the other sappy kids
music, but that is a personal choice of mine. Nickelodian and the
Disney channel usually has music from their various character TV
shows, like dora, also.    check out Pandora. You can listen before
you buy anything. I use my iphone for music, lots.
Joe Scruggs, Tina Malia, Rene and Jeremy, Putumayo Presence (there are
several albums with different artists and different styles of music),
Disney has some good songs, -- "some" especially from the movie sound
tracks. You could also select some from other movie soundtracks such
as the prince of Egypt. Yes, Broadway was our fave for a while: "the
Music Man," "The King and I," "Sound of Music," Oaklahoma," "coat of
Many colors," "South Pacific,"  "Annie," "Guys and Dolls," "Fiddler On
the Roof," etc. Even the less tame shows like "rent," has a couple of
kid friendly songs, if you look.
 There are even some artists that are ok. Michael Buble makes some
tracks that are kid friendly and so does Ingrid Michaelsen.  there are
others, but you have to sift through the albums. My daughter (who just
married April 1) had a very "kid friendly," but very loving music
selections. "L is for the way you look at me," and others that could
also be used for children as well as adults. Big band and Harry
Connick Jr. can also be trusted for some good faves, if you like that
style. Even Country music has some good songs that don't talk about
cheating, drinking or crying. Once many artists got together and made
an Aids Awareness album with kid friendly music. Cher sang "A dream is
a wish your  Heart makes," and Elton John wrote a cute song about his
baby brother. James Taylor and Carlie Simon did the "mockingbird," and
even Babyface did "if."  But, I don't know what it was called and
can't get ahold of it, sadly. Yet, there could be other such CDs
floating around.   alternatively, I have changed the words to some
songs so that I can sing them with karaoke. The Seductive "you give me
fever," has been changed to sing to a child when he/she is sick: "you
got the fever." Marvin Gay's "Let's get it on," is now "his name is
Azaan."   some of the variety albums like "putumayo Presence," will
give you a sampling of artists and if you like a specific style or
artist, you can check more of his/her stuff out on   Amazon.