[blparent] Kid music

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 15:19:15 UTC 2012

Broadway versions of Westside Story, Grease, Hairspray, Les Mis, Rent,
Miss Saigon, Jesus Christ Superstar, Once Upon a Mattress, Chicago-- and
many others have adult content, swearing and suggestive lyrics, not much
different from most music played on radio stations. I love and have
performed in many of these shows, but I wouldn't recommend them for
children under the jur. High school age. Rent and Grease in particular
are full of suggestive lyrics and swear words. The film adaptations for
both Westside Story and Grease were drastically changed, both plot-wise
and lyrics, and even then I wouldn't find the movie version of Grease
appropriate for kids of a certain age. The Westside Story film is a bit
more tame, but having been in the stage version, trust me, it's not a
kid show. Many modern Broadway musicals just include this kind of
content like Moving Out, though a huge focus is placed on
family-oriented musicals these days, so there are a lot of options
available. My point isjust that Broadway alone does not mean it will be
clean and kid-friendly, so do your homework.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan