[blparent] hospital or parent was Re: introduction, expecting

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 01:01:05 UTC 2012

I am not sure what makes the difference on whether or not a blind parent has issues or not. I am not questioning why social services gets involved, but that they do. Its a problem with so many different avenues. So we have the social workers, hospital workers, nurses, doctors, administrators, custody evaluators, social services, child protective services, who all need education. can't forget about the lawyers. But then you have those blind parents, who might not have the parenting skills that they should. they might not have the resources to know about the  NFB, or know of other blind parents. So we must go in, teach them, give them those skills that they are lacking. If its for another reason they choose to have their parental rights terminated then that is their right. Atleast we can say, we didn't give them the skills to be a parent without sight. I do think confidence is a big issue, and that is where we come in  ,if we have people around the country who can mentor other parents. help boost their confidence, getting rid of the misconceptions that they might have have against being a parent because of their blindness. blind parents can't go to our training centers, but send in a blind parent, who has the skills to teach another parent the skills.

This is just myopiniion,

Marsha drenthSent from my iPhone