[blparent] Involvement of Child Services (was introduction, expecting)

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sun Aug 12 06:11:18 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth, You just hit the nail on the head. What you said about
sighted help totally plays into  the point I was trying to make; I
didn't want to ramble on and on, but I meant to add before that it's
always  better to rely on help when you need it, rather than try to
prove to someone that you're so independent, you don't ever need any help.
Of course, no one should have to raise anyone else's child. Extended
family shouldn't have to sacrifice their entire life to raise their
blind family member's babies. But there's nothing wrong in involving
family members, or friends when you need them. Any experienced
child-care taker knows darn well that a  new baby warrants extra help
sometimes. I remember this old saying: It takes a village to raise a
child.  Everyone needs the extra help, sighted, blind--just as jo pointed out.
I'll give you guys my example:
When I got pregnant, my boyfriend and I were living in Boston
Massachusetts. We had casual friends, but neither of our families lived
anywhere nearby and we didn't know anyone well enough to want to rely
on them for help in the event that we needed it. We had only lived
there for about a year and a half so we didn't have any solid
connections. So what did we do? We packed up and moved to Connecticut,
where my family lives. We found a bigger place than we had before,
which happened to be about a ten minute drive from where my mom lives.
Were we wrong for choosing to move somewhere where we knew we'd be
supported by family? No, not at all. We did the responsible thing, and
my family agreed to help without any persuasion on our part. That
doesn't mean we depend on them for everything, it doesn't mean that we
can't care for our baby because we're blind and we need sighted help.
It just means that we see them a couple times a week, and they come by
every now and them and relieve us of some baby duties when we need a
break or are busy with work.
Because we lived so close to family, my mom was actually able to take a
week off of work so that she could stay with us and help us through the
transition when the baby came home. So when the doctors and social
worker asked if we'd have any help, we calmly explained that we
wouldn't need more help than a sighted person would, but that my mom
and other family was around to help if necessary. My mom was also there
to reassure them that, though she wouldn't take over the childcare,
she'd be there to ease us into the adjustment. That helped the
healthcare professionals become more at ease with our situation. Social
workers and doctors aren't some kind of monsters out to get our
children. Their job is to make sure that kids are safe and cared for at
home, and if they feel that a kid won't get adequate care, they take
him or her away. Period.
My boyfriend and I have been extremely fortunate because both our
families have been extremely supportive during this time. They've
helped us in ways that many people would wish to be helped when
starting a new family. As a matter of fact, just today my mom picked up
my son for the day so she could spend some time with him while I caught
up on work. And earlier this month, my partner had to travel back to
his hometown for a funeral, so my uncle came over to occupy the baby
while I worked on a project with a tight deadline. Did he have to do
that because I was blind? No, he helped because I was a new mom in need
of an extra set of hands and eyes. As a matter of fact, he never did
any of the feeding or changing; I took a break from work to tend to my
son in that way. So yes, help is necessary for blind parents, and not
because of blindness.
If I could offer up some advice for those who are fighting the state to
get their kids back, as well as those expecting children soon, I'd say,
be honest with social workers, and be prepared. Just because you are
blind doesn't mean you are superman. No one is expecting you to take
care of your kid without any extra help. If you tell them you'll be
just fine without any help, that's when they become alarmed. I don't
blame them. But be prepared. Plan ahead. Have good, satisfying answers
that you can offer when you're being asked questions such as:
What will you do when your child has a fever?
or
What do you do in case of emergency?
or even
How do you plan on bathing, feeding, and changing your child?
If you answer any of these questions with an
 "I don't know", then guess what? I don't mean to be harsh, but you
are, in fact, not prepared to be a parent, which actually does warrant
that your child be put into state custody. Or at least in the custody
of someone else. In order to be a parent, you need to prepare yourself.
That's called being responsible. You can't just say that parenting is
trial and error, and that you'll fly by the seat of your pants,
especially when you're a new parent. When babies are involved, you need
to have a plan in place for every scenario, at least an initial plan.
Because when an emergency occurs, if you don't even have a basic plan,
you're likely to make some big mistakes regarding the situation--more
so then if you did have a plan. And don't be afraid to seek out sighted
people who can assist you in dire need. Find someone who can drive you
to the  ER if you need to go, find someone who can be there if your
baby is terribly sick or something aweful happens. I don't mean to put
pressure on anyone; My point is, be confident but not overconfident, be
honest and be prepared. There's not much room for huge errors with
babies. They're strong, yet fragile. That's why healthcare workers and
CPS get worried when parents don't seem prepared. If you go by the
filosophy that parenting a baby is trial and error, then I'd be alarmed
too. It's not like you can say: Darn, I screwed up terribly, now my
baby is gravely ill or even dead, well that's ok, I can try again.
You're all going to hate me for saying this but, babies can die at the
drop of a hat. If you can't demonstrate even  basic knowledge of caring
for a baby, then of course CPS is likely to be involved.  A good number
of them aren't educated and don't believe that blind people make
successful parents, and they do try pretty hard to catch you off guard
so they can prove that you'd make a bad parent.  but if you don't give
them room to make a case, they won't be able to make one.
With that, best of luck to anyone who needs it.

Sorry for the book-length message.

Bernadetta