[blparent] Involvement of Child Services (was introduction, expecting)

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:29:39 UTC 2012

It's interesting to read everyone's perspective on this issue.

Like Bernadetta, I had a C-section when my son was born. We were
fortunate in that my boyfriend was able to stay in the hospital for
our entire stay. Also, I delivered at a smaller hospital, and I do
know that the labor and delivery nurses, and possibly later the
maternity nurses, made special efforts to be available to us. We said
at the time that we didn't think we could have gotten this kind of
attention if our son had been born at the larger hospital in our area.

I certainly have no issue with a C-section mom not being left alone
with her son.

As the first one who asked a question re Jodie's post, I think I need
to clarify a few things. I didn't say that I would absolutely engage
in an argument on this point, because I certainly understand the need
to pick your battles. But I questioned the hospital's logic, and
depending on the situation, I might have done so at the hospital.
After all, if we could not be left alone with our son at all while at
the hospital, what would we do when we got home? Wouldn't it make more
sense for us to have a little alone-time when people were just a
call-button away?

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I do agree that we have to pick
our battles, and that we need to be aware that if we express too much
"hostility," this could cause greater problems. But I don't think it's
always inappropriate to question steps the hospital staff wants to
take.

Angie