[blparent] allowances was gratefulness

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Thu Dec 6 05:27:26 UTC 2012

Rebecca, I know allowances can be controversial. I have found them useful in
the past, but quit promising them because my husband was not always reliable
about coming through with the money. We have separated our finances enough
now though for me to plan to start them up again at a reduced amount next
month without him having to be part of the agreement.

I think it is useful for kids to learn about how to spend their money when
the stakes are much smaller than a paycheck. I know there are other ways to
pass on this lesson, this is just one of the ones I like. I do not tie
giving the money to the doing of chores just because we are chaotic enough
around here without my trying to keep up with some kind of chore chart. I
know families that seem to find this really helpful; we are just not that
family.

The big place I find it useful is in making my kids accountable for their
choices. If they do not do a chore I gave and leave it for me to do then I
charge them for my time. I also make them pay for things they destroy. I had
a couple of very sad faced little boys the day I took them to the store and
made them replace the crackers I had told them to leave alone and that they
had instead eaten and crumbled all over my living room. It was also a great
opportunity to teach them about name brand verses store brand prices.

This is a good learning tool for my kids and my parenting style. It also
dovetails nicely to another method we use. When we go on road trips or to a
festival type thing, I figure up ahead of time how much I am willing to give
each kid for the day and give  him cash. $5 is usually the amount for long
road trips that involve numerous stops. I usually provide bottled water and
some healthy snack, so the money is for extras at pit stops. It is amazing
to observe how this plays out in a group of kids. It almost always inspires
one of the older kids to help a younger one shop and make sensible
decisions. It also cuts way down on the begging and whining for junk food
and toys at every stop.

Jennifer