[blparent] Child Protective Services

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Wed Feb 22 01:40:54 UTC 2012

Heather, congratulations on your upcoming birth. I hope things are going
well. Many of us on this list are blind parents and have never had a problem
with child protective service. Many years ago when I was a rehab counselor,
I found that the only time I got calls about expectant moms was when the
medical people felt that the baby did not have adequate care or inadequate
support for the parent(s), thus not enough care for the baby. . Also, I am
an instructor with the Hadley School and teach a three course parenting
series, the first course of which is Preparation. It is a lengthy course
with assignments and all but is at least affiliated with us, provides a
certificate upon completion and is just one more resource available to you.
My own sons are 28 and almost 26 years, I am totally blind and their dad who
is my ex has some vision. If you have any questions about Hadley or would
want to contact me directly, you are welcome to do so at my home email
shrnhow at att.net
or Hadley
sharon at hadley.edu
The other two courses in our series, for those who are new here, are Infancy
which covers the first year and Early Years which covers ages 1 to 5. We
don't pretend to be the be all and end all, but at least these courses can
get you started. As many of you know, there is no charge for our courses.
Sharon Howerton