[blparent] Child Protective Services

Kate McEachern kflsouth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 02:39:13 UTC 2012

Dear Heather,

At times Child protective services have been called on Blind parents, but,
no agency can take your kids because your Blind.

I heard a lot of talk when about to have my first child that when the SW
came to see me like she does for all new Mothers, I got defensive. In my
situation I had lots of friends and family to help ea's tensions and I left
the hospital both times with my children.

Recently I had some one call DCF on my family because my children's father
fell ill quickly and this person saw a window to cause trouble. They didn't
report me to DCF though, they filed a report of child abuse with the local
Police department and this led to a more serious situation. In short I had
to call our chapter of the NFB and other communities our family is part of
to step in because the allegations this person made were bad enough to have
me arrested on the spot. So rather then get all upset I made certain the
house was as clean as a single Mom could get a two bedroom house with two
kids and animals and let them in. Our little house was clean yet a bit
cluttered because of being in the mitts of de cluttering but all went well.
My children were photographed and I was asked a lot of questions. I also got
to read the allegations made and received a written note that was signed
stating the case was closed.

This not well meaning person has placed me under the radar for the next
seven years and after a friend slipped and told me who made the report I did
what some would of said not to do. I walked to her house and gave her a
pease of my mind.

So, if you have a clean house, have an income, and your kids are healthy and
happy you should be fine. Relax and enjoy being a parent and don't stress
unless something happens to make you have to.

Best of luck.

Kate