[blparent] Child Protective Services

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Feb 22 03:26:40 UTC 2012

Wow, isn't it something when people can't mind their own business?  Social
Services came out once when Sarah was about nine months old because someone
reported that I was living alone with no support and I had a vicious dog.
Sarah's dad happened to answer the door because he was in fact living with
me, and my guide dog tried to lick the social worker to death.  She wrote a
report saying the concerns were unfounded, and she hasn't been back.

I was asked in the hospital if I would have help at home, and I said yes,
without defining what that help would be.  I was alone all day with Sarah
starting from when she was a week old, but her dad would be home at night,
and I still have a circle of friends, any of whom would be here in no time
if I asked.  I think all new moms need help and support, so if your doctor
questions you, I wouldn't recommend saying you'll be doing everything on
your own.  But you don't have to go into more detail than is asked for,
either.