[blparent] Child Protective Services & blind parenting

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Feb 22 22:57:37 UTC 2012

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Bridgit.  I agree that we shouldn't have
to prove our ability as parents just because of our blindness.  But I also
believe that, at least for me, I couldn't be too prepared.  The thing I
liked about the Hadley courses is that there were tips included from other
blind parents, some of which I borrowed for my own box of tricks.

I have a file tucked away in a drawer that includes my certificates from
Hadley, the documentation from the baby care class I took at the hospital
before Sarah was born, the report from Social Services that says nothing was
found to be amiss at my house, the letter from the home nurse stating that I
finished the visitation program, the notes from our pediatrician from each
yearly visit at which everything was said to be fine, and the results from
the voluntary test at the health department that told me my daughter was
developing within normal emotional and social limits.  If and when I ever
have trouble again, from my own family or elsewhere, I'll be well armed.
Even Sarah's dad thinks I'm at least a little paranoid.  Once burned, twice
shy.

One final thing--I fear the day when every parent has to take classes or get
certified.  I've heard people suggest that, usually in the context of teen
pregnancies.  But I know full well that blind parents would have a devil of
a time passing any class or certification that could be proposed, not
because of lack of ability, but because it would take proving ourselves to a
whole new level.  Scary thought.