[blparent] Child Protective Services & blind parenting

janel jjointski at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 01:05:00 UTC 2012

Hi:
my son's father and I took child care classes at the hospital where I
delivered as well.  At the end of the last class the instructor stated that
she wanted to schedule for a Socialworker to come to our home to make sure
that the home was baby proof and ready for a newborn.  My son's father got
very upset and I did as well.
I know that socialworkers coming to a sighted couple's home is not standard
and I believe that because she saw a blind couple getting ready to have
their first baby, she assumed that this was necessary for us.
The next day, he called the hospital to complain and noone ever came to the
house.