[blparent] Child Protective Services & blind parenting

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Feb 22 23:03:42 UTC 2012

I completely agree that taking the baby care and childbirth classes at the
hospital is a good idea.  That will give you a chance to meet some of the
nurses and other staff members so that when you arrive to deliver the baby,
you'll already be a little familiar to them.  Besides, you might learn a lot
in the process.  *Smile.*

Because I had trouble with some in my family who wanted to raise my baby
themselves, I went a step further and made an appointment with the hospital
social worker.  I asked her to check into the policies at the hospital and
find out if there was any official reason I should be concerned about my
blindness as a possible issue.  The social worker found no official hospital
policies that could get in my way--if she had, I would have changed
hospitals--and she sent out an e-mail to the director of the obstetrics
unit, saying when I would be delivering and that the hospital wasn't
concerned about my parenting abilities, so none of the nurses should be,
either.