[blparent] going new places

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 16:16:30 UTC 2012

If you are really afraid, you could practice in your yard.
I mean, practice calling the children and having them answer on the fly.

It is kind of scarry going to the park.
But, one thing I do -- or am going to do and am doing for this
overseas trip that we are taking is:
writing down all that could go wrong and then, having a plan for it,
just in case. That helps me feel more secure. And, I know for me that
when I am afraid or unsure, I become less assertive and this is
something that I need to work on, as well. The more you do it, the
easier it gets.
Even when I thought that our trips out (with my older -- much older
four) were a bust, we always found something interesting to talk about
when they were over. It taught me to be more flexible as a person and
taught my children to try to find the good, even when things did not
go as planned. Once, I took my children to the zoo. I was with a
sighted friend, but still lost my 2yo for --- what seemed like
60minutes, but was probably more like 15minutes. After that, I bought
harnesses and leashes for the kids.
Even if things don't go well the first few times, keep trying. You
will eventually get better and get it right.... or whatever you
consider, right.
Oh, one plug for the Iphone, it has a compass built in.
It tells you the exact degrees of where you are.

The library is fun sometimes, if:
1. you go around story time or any other time that there is a craft or
demonstration,
2. you watch a movie or listen to a CD.,
3. there are toys to play with if reading does not work out,
4.   You might want to take your own print/braille book and if you go
around reading time, or find a grandma that likes to read, you can
share the reading time by reading your book to the children and her
reading another selection.
5. If your daughter browses through the books and seems to like a
certain type or author or book series, then you know that this is
worth buying if you can find the print/braille version.
6. sometimes, you can find an audio book that matches your daughter's
print book. then, you can sit her on your lap and it is kind of like
reading together.