[blparent] Strollers

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 23:14:30 UTC 2012

Lisamaria and others,

I agree- like most nonvisual techniques, we all develop our own for
different situations. Depending on the terrain, I sometimes will tip the
stroller back while I pull it behind me so Penny is in a somewhat
"laying down" position with the front wheels slightly up. It's not a
dramatic tilt but this position does help me sometimes when pulling it
behind me, and Pen gets a real kick out of being tilted backwards,
smile!

The flip handle strollers are great for those pulling it behind like I
do because I prefer my child still to face me even though I am pulling
them behind me. We also have a Little Tykes jumbo wagon for when we go
to the park or on walks near home.

Lisamaria brought up a good point for public transit users: Be aware of
stroller etiquette on the bus and other forms of public transportation
available in your area. In Omaha, regardless of a child's age, strollers
must be closed up and the child in your lap when on the bus. This sucks
when on your own, though in my experience, the drivers are helpful if
necessary. If a bus is empty or close to empty, many drivers have
allowed me to keep Pen in her stroller, although, now that she's older,
she likes to sit in a bus seat and look out the window and say "Hi" to
everyone on the bus, grin. We just take the stroller for when walking to
a destination. It really is a good idea, though, to be aware of any
guidelines for strollers on public transit.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan