[blparent] behavior problem solving

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Jan 13 06:14:32 UTC 2012

If you have a way to make sure the instructions are followed, I think you've
got an awesome idea there.  I proofread a lot of textbooks for young
readers, and those are the kinds of things they're asked to do, so you would
have consistency between home and school.

A scavenger hunt is an excellent idea, especially if you can incorporate
elements of following instructions into the clues.  Like you might say, go
to the next place where a clue is, but before you can have it, you have to
say your ABC's, or turn around in a circle three times, or whatever.

I would also look for patterns of when your son isn't following
instructions.  Is it when he's distracted by the TV or a toy?  Is it when
he's getting tired or hungry or frustrated?  Those clues may help you figure
out what steps to take that could put him in a better place to listen and
obey.

The other thing is, as hard as it can be, try to always present a united
front with the teacher, unless he or she is doing something completely off
the wall.  Sarah came home from preschool and told me the other day she had
to sit by herself because she was rude.  I asked what happened, and she said
one of the kids kept putting his hands over the book she was reading so she
couldn't see it.  She snatched the book from him and told him to go away.
The teacher saw what she did, but not what provoked it, and so she was the
one who got in trouble.  I could have made a big deal about it with the
teacher, but I figured it's a life lesson learned: the last one to act is
the one who gets caught.  I told her that it wasn't fair, but sometimes
things went that way, and that next time she could go to the teacher and ask
for help instead of snatching the book away from the kid and maybe getting
in trouble again.  I wanted to make sure she knew she couldn't play me
against the teacher.

Two bits worth of free advice,