[blparent] The maid wants to go on strike!

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Thu Jun 7 04:28:55 UTC 2012

I use a lot of Oxy Clean in this house, and Tide with every load. I also let
the clothes soak for about 15 extra minutes in the Tide for almost every
load. Tide is the only really harsh chemical I use in my whole house. I use
it because consumer reports says it is the best cleaner. Most people do not
need this much cleaning power for every day, but as I can not see the stains
to pre-treat this is what I do. My boys do still manage to stain some of
their clothes though.

I do four to five loads of laundry every day to keep up with all the dirty
clothes they produce, so my boys always have something to where.

Sometimes we are still subject to the negative ideas of others. My son had
the school health aid wrapped around his finger at school. He once told me
he did not have to put on clean socks because "my nurse will have some for
me." This same health aid gave him a clean shirt to where one day at school
and assured me it was no big deal. Of course it was a big deal, I sent him
in a clean shirt that morning that was the same shirt he wore the day
before. He pulled it off the top of the laundry basket and I even warned him
people might think he was wearing a dirty shirt. The nurse offered him one
he thought was cool and he just let her believe the one he had on was dirty
so he could wear the shirt she had. I could tell in my many conversations
with this woman that she thought she was "saving" my son. She called me one
day because poor Henry was not eating and she was really worried about him.
Now he already had an appointment about changing his medication set up for
the next week so his trouble with his appetite had already been noted, but
she still called me at least three more times that week to talk about how
Henry was not eating at school and she was really worried about him taking
his medication on an empty stomach and this loss of appetite. Now because of
the ADHD meds I offered my son breakfast at home and at school to increase
our chances of getting him to eat in the morning. She was going to the
cafeteria and checking on him every day that week and practically begging
him to eat. On at least one occasion she took him to the vending machines
and got him a granola bar because she was so worried about this. I am sure
my lack of excitement about this matter just confirmed her belief that I am
a bad mother. Henry, of course, just loved the extra attention.

Jennifer