[blparent] The maid wants to go on strike!

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Jun 7 16:14:08 UTC 2012

It took me a long time to explain to Gerald the importance of making sure
our daughter left the house with no stains and clothes that matched up
right.  At first he thought I was taking everything too seriously and
obsessing about nothing.  Little by little, I've gotten it across to him
that if somebody else's preschooler walks around with her shirt on backwards
or spaghetti sauce wiped on her sleeve, it's because she's a kid, but if
mine does, it's because the poor thing has a blind mother who can't keep her
neat and dressed well.

I don't think people even stop to realize how they sound when they say
things.  I remember when Sarah was about five months old, I was sitting on
the floor with her and an uncle of mine brought me a cup of coffee.  He
handed it to me and said here, I don't know how you're going to keep from
spilling this on the baby.  I was shocked, especially since I'd been around
my uncle all my life.  I said well, Sarah's five months old and I've not
spilled hot coffee on her yet--pretty good, since I drink it every day.  And
instead of apologizing, he said well, you don't have to get hostile about
it.

Sometimes you have to just shake your head and move on.  You can't fix
stupid.

Jo Elizabeth

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a
song."  Maya Angelou