[blparent] When not to be a united front.

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Wed Jun 27 03:02:14 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth,

I handle the kinds of things you mentioned pretty much the same way. As you
say, the language does usually disappear with little ones when they do not
get a reaction as you said. My older son is a little more complicated but I
think I am getting a handle on this one too. I have noticed that the
language comes out the most either when he is really angry and it is being
directed at his brothers, or when he is engaged in an argument with me that
is becoming very intense. I had inadverdently been rewarding this behavior
and have recognized the pattern the last time we fought so I am hoping that
I can use this to be more effective. When he looses his temper and is not
controlling himself I usually send him to his room for a while until he can
speak calmly about the issue. This works pretty well, except that if he
behaves badly as part of the whole thing I usually collect all the
electronics first. However, if he makes me so angry that I need the
separation too, then I will just send him up without thinking to grab the
electronics. So once engaged it was to his benefit, in the short term, to
push me hard enough to become to angry to remember the electronics. Patterns
are hard to break, but this one has not repeated like that since I figured
out the pattern.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences on this one.

Jennifer