[blparent] Pregnancy and food- helpers pushing beliefs on you

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sun Mar 18 05:01:24 UTC 2012

Some people turn out to be excellent helpers, flexible and respectful of the
person they are assisting.  Some people, for a whole assortment of reasons,
are not well suited to be in a helping relationship.  This comes up for me
sometimes when I go clothes shopping with a friend or relative.  I've
learned to be pretty selective about who I ask to help me cull or expand my
wardrobe.  I don't think anyone has ever deceived me deliberately, but when
I invite someone's opinion on how I look in an outfit, there needs to be
quite a high trust factor.

We as blind people are certainly not alone in having to rely on others who
may or may not be wise, knowledgeable, and kindly disposed.  In our effort
to stay healthy, most of us visit doctors and dentists; we go to lawyers
when we have to draw up a contract or settle a dispute; and we generally
count on teachers to educate our children.  Some of these folks are awesome;
some are adequate; and some do real damage - and we all have to do our best
to sift the good from the bad.  It can be maddening and even heartbreaking
when we find that our trust has been misplaced, and it makes us feel very
vulnerable.