[blparent] an update (kids & meds)

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Mar 31 16:59:06 UTC 2012

It's really awful.  Once your kid gets the label in the neighborhood as a
bad egg--even if some of it is deserved, which I won't deny--then he gets
blamed for everything.  My stepson has been blamed for graffiti that we know
he didn't write because he was with his mom in another city when it
appeared, and eggings we know he didn't do because we weren't missing any
eggs, and where else would he have gotten them from?  Some of the parents
won't let their kids hang out with my stepson, some of the other kids have
bullied him, and now, some of the younger parents won't even let their kids
play with Sarah, even though my stepson is only in our house part-time.  It
started out as some parents not letting their kids come over to our house,
but asking Sarah to play in their homes instead.  Then the judgment took on
a life of its own, with some parents not letting their little ones associate
with my daughter at all, and now, because of parental attitudes, some of the
kids run when they see us walking down the sidewalk.  But nobody will come
out to my face and say anything directly.  I've just heard it through the
grapevine that some of the parents are worried about their kids because they
fear that ADHD has been linked to inappropriate interactions between the
sexes, which is completely unfounded as far as I can research.  My stepson
did commit several acts of minor vandalism, and I'm not saying that's okay,
but he didn't (and wouldn't) act inappropriately toward little girls.  I
still trust him with my daughter because being with her seems to bring out
his best, most responsible side.  But like I said, once parents find out
there's a disorder, then your kid becomes public enemy number one.