[blparent] Healthy foods- candy and sweets

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed May 2 19:45:54 UTC 2012

Oh, I agree, we don't do candy or cookies or the like with a meal, because
then the rest is off the menu.  Sarah would eat candy all day long if she
could.  I was very conscious of what I gave Sarah when she was an infant,
but once the kids get out into the world where they discover cookies and ice
cream, we're all fighting a losing battle.

One thing to be careful of with candy is jellybeans.  Sarah is four, and I
thought she would be old enough for them.  But she nearly choked on one this
Easter, to the point she couldn't talk, and she was making funny sounds like
she couldn't breathe.  Fortunately her body took care of the jellybean and
it went down, but I was about ten seconds away from trying the Heimlich,
which I learned how to do on a doll but never tried on a living human being.
So jellybeans are out--luckily Easter is a year away now.