[blparent] Parent report cards?

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Thu May 3 17:53:13 UTC 2012

I don't agree with the parent report card either, but it's a sad time when
parents are so uninvolved as a whole that this is even being considered.  I
know of lots of parents like myself who are involved a ton with their
children, providing them both quality and quantity time, but so many folks
load themselves with more to do in a day than there are hours that the kids
get the shaft.  I think that community involvement is fabulous and key in a
child's development, but family time needs to come first before soccer
practice, dance class, piano lessons and so much more that parents are
running their kids to something nearly on a nightly basis.  I say depending
on the age of the child they should have no more than 2 extracurricular
activities at one time on average in order to fit in that quality family
time.  There are so many of us busting our humps to do all we can for our
kids but there are also lots of parents who are on survival mode
continuously and allowing their kids to eat in front of the television
instead of talking as a family and playing video games all the time to keep
them occupied.  This is why such ridiculous ideas like the parent report
card even come up.  Lots of parents are acting like kids, so the government
is wanting to treat them as such.  Behavior aside though, who are they to
say what's good enough.  I'll turn to much better resources and mentoring
than the government for parenting advice, thank you very much!

Erin