[blparent] Tips on Integrating Different Parenting Styles

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 18:22:55 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth,

I say try your best to get your husband to understand  things from a
four-year-old point of view. Yelling is considered a positive
punishment, but don't be fooled by the word positive. A positive
punishment is when results are achieved through negative-type behavior
such as yelling. Sara may eat her dinner when yelled at, but a
conditioning can take place where she now associates  a negative view
towards dinner, or whatever the situation is.

Positive and negative reinforcers have been shown to get the best
results especially for children. Reinforcers are when a behavior is
influenced by being rewarded by either giving a child something they
enjoy or taking away something they like. For example, a positive
reinforcer would be like giving a child something like praise, or for a
tangible substitute, candy, to achieve desired behavior. Negative
reinforcers would be like taking away a favorite toy or TV program in
order to encourage desired behavior.

This may all sound like psycho babble, and of course when theory is put
into practice, things don't always work they way they should, but many
studies show the benefits to using reinforcers for children as opposed
to those positive punishments that often lead to a conditioning of a
negative stimuli, or association, for children.

Of course something like candy can't be used for all positive
reinforcers, and at times, behavior like yelling can be appropriate such
as if a young child runs out into a parking lot or other dangerous
situations. But to expect a young child to understand the reasoning as
to why they get yelled at for things like not eating dinner can just
create negative connections in the mind of children.

And, we tell children to not yell and be "mean," so why is it okay for
adults to act this way? A good question when you think about it, grin.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan