[blparent] Advice: buying a house

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 11:52:35 UTC 2012

Hi All,
First, I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions about
bottles and johnny jumper things.
We have a pretty consistent group of parents and child care providers
who --- may not always agree, but give wonderful advice for each
season of our lives. And, we are as diverse as any other parent group:
 from spiritual to not; from crunchy to progressive (those might not
be opposites, but you understand what I mean); from babies to adult
children; from stay-at-home parents  to working parents; ... etc.

So, I thought that I might post here about our "house buying" and ask
for any tips and advice. I have done research, but, there isn't much
from a blind person's prospective. Maybe there doesn't need to be:
because maybe it is not any different from sighted people buying a
house. But, I did have a couple of questions:
1. How did you choose your realtor? We have one of these, already, but
wonder if we  shouldn't have looked farther. DH's boss said that his
realtor would transport him to and from the prospective houses. Is
that normal??? We find that this is one of the most difficult things
to do because paratransit takes so long, we can only see one house
per day.
2. Public transportation is not very good here in Indy. People from
other cities have commented on how fragmented it is. And, there aren't
many sidewalks in residential areas or down busy streets and ... ... a
good shoulder is hard to find. [ARe those words to a country
song?????]  (smile) But, we are trying to find a house that is close
to a bus stop --- and a bus stop that would take DH to work and us
downtown. Sometimes we find a house close to a bus stop, but the wrong
bus stops there.

Any other advice????