[blparent] Running the List

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri May 11 02:48:25 UTC 2012

Dear Boys and Girls:

As you know there has been some lively discussion about house buying
on the list over the past couple of days.  I got a little behind in
my e-mail and you folks go nuts.

I would like to offer you some guidance.  I won't say rules, because
as soon as I say the "R" word some of you will feel I drew a line in
the sand and you will be compelled to step over it.

First, please leave moderating the list to the list moderator, or
myself, as the list owner.  If you don't like something write to me
privately, but it is not y0our job to say what is or isn't on or off
topic.  If you don't like something delete it, it is quicker then
going through all of this.

Next, what is or isn't on topic for the list isn't black and
white.  Is a blind person buying a house on topic -- well strictly
speaking probably not.  However, it does have blindness, and
parenting aspects to it, so some discussion is probably ok.  Further,
many lists, including this one develop a community, and members help
and support each other.  You guys do that when you aren't going after
each other (smile.)  So, because of community and support, I tend to
tolerate some off topic messages on a list.  If it doesn't go too
far, then it works.

However, you guys don't seem to be able to handle it very well.  As I
said, leav3e the moderating to the moderators.  Secondly, don't feel
compelled to comment on each and every message.  It only adds to the
fire, when one is burning.  One trick is to read a list from the
bottom up, that is the newest message first.  Then you won't be as
likely to answer questions that have already been answered, or make
comments that have already been made.

I am not sure why but this list seems to get out of kilter more
easily then almost any of our other lists.  I would guess there are
strong feelings and emotions tied to parenting.  Nonetheless, please
everybody, behave, delete and think.

David Andrews, List Owner

p.s.  If you don't agree with me or the moderator, don't argue on the
list.  This isn't a democracy.