[blparent] important things to llook for in a new house

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Fri May 11 04:30:45 UTC 2012

When moving into a new house or even when looking at it for the first time,
take into consideration
Can you child open the window by themselves?  I ask this because  when my
cousin bought her house, the windows went right down to the floor and her
toddler son could push it open.  You say, is this a bad thing, the answer is
yes if your bedroom is on a second level. That kind of thing never crossed
my mind.
Cabinet door are expensive, can you attach locks to them?
Are there wires loose?
What kind of window coverings do the windows have, can my child hang himself
in the cords.  Not that you can't replace them eventually
How old is the furnace, can you get special tests to check any gas leaks
Is the road used as a thorough fare
What kind of schools are near by, what kind of rating do they have?
Do the children walk to them or is there a bus?

These are the same kind of questions you might ask when buying a safe
stroller, car seat, etc.