[blparent] No more bake sales?

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Tue May 8 22:43:52 UTC 2012

Exercise at school, or perhaps I should say the lack there of, is a real
problem. My second grader has p.e. three days one week and two days the next
as they alternate. He also only has one recess. Yet people question why
concerns about ADHD and other neurological issues are on the rise especially
amongst boys. My boys have the real deal in ADGHD, but it is really just
crazy to expect kids to be still and quiet all day. Many elementary schools
even have no talking rules for the lunch room.

I will praise my kids principal for instituting a rule against taking recess
away as a punishment. However, when our new school building was built two
years ago about two blocks from the old building, the outdoor elements for
car pick up and drop off were greatly considered, but pedestrian traffic is
discouraged.

At least this new bake sale law will remove some of the hypocrisy that
currently goes on with food at school. We are not allowed to send cupcakes
for our kids birthdays anymore because it is a "healthy" school, but
professional pr people can come in and get my kids all excited to sell over
priced candy for fund raisers. That would be me sidetracking into politics
too. :) I just think it would be more appropriate to teach kids that
occasional goodies as special treats are part of a healthy diet instead of
teaching them to put moral equivalents on food.

Jennifer