[blparent] respect for the members.

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:25:57 UTC 2012

OK, I was the one who started the house post and was a bit shocked to
see someone come out so defensive about it.
I was going to just quietly retract into passive mode: but,
respect is based on how long you have been a parent????
I have a daughter who is 23yo. So..... HMMM, where's the respect from
people who have ... ... children half my daughter's age???? .... just
making a point.
.
Seriously, I don't post about things that I don't feel are related to
this list. So, although many have disagreed with my house buying post,
I honestly "thought" that it was quite "on topic." And, obviously, the
moderator deemed it otherwise. However, there was no need for this
nastyness. It was not my intention to annoy anyone with my questions.
I don't write messages just to hear me spout on the list. If anyone
had a problem with my question, could they just have "politely " said:
"Hey, Jan, I am not sure that this is the right venue, you might get a
better response at blank list." It is almost as if people assume that
we post questions that "they" deem "off topic" just to annoy the heck
out of them... Hello, It's not all about YOU! and, when did finding
the delete key become so difficult? I do it all the time.
So, is breastfeeding a blind issue? What about appropriate books for a
six year old?? And, how about making your own babyfood or product
reviews, the best bottle nipples to use or baby shower suggestions?
How about kid friendly or nutritious family  recipes: should we
encourage parents who are looking for recipes to visit the blind cooks
list instead of ours????
  Maybe "Talking to your child about sex," is not relevant because it
has nothing to do with "blindness."
   Respectfully, my blindness and being a blind parent with a baby
does have some effect on the house buying choices. {thanks to all who
have responded positively and understood my questions from a Blind
Parent prospective}.
  I wonder: What criteria we are using to decide what is "blind" and
"parent" related. I am just asking because, honestly, there might be
people like me who (from this day forward) might be afraid to catch
the wrath of a few disgruntled members by posting  something they deem
"off topic," but  the poster might  feel is quite relevant.
 In any case, my appologies for starting a war. My only intention was
to get some assistance from other blind parents who have already been
through said experiences.
I will say this:
I won't be bullied into silence, either. If I think that another
question is both blind and parent related, I'll still venture to ask
it. But, some on this list might decide that it is not worth the
hastle.